Trusted Henderson Divorce Attorneys Ready to Win Your Case
Henderson, Nevada is a great place to call home. Nestled perfectly between the excitement of the Las Vegas strip and the serene beauty of Lake Mead, this city is a true oasis in the desert. But even those who call this oasis home can find themselves embroiled in domestic angst. If that is happening to you, it may be in your best interest to visit a trusted, local family legal matters law firm. When it comes to divorce, speak with our proven Henderson divorce lawyers now.
At Mills & Anderson, our Henderson divorce attorneys understand that making the decision to file for a divorce is never easy, even in the best of circumstances. A divorce is a significant life decision and one with a lasting impact. Even if you’re certain it’s the right decision, it can be a difficult and stressful time. This is even more true if your divorce is occurring under circumstances where emotions are running high between you and your soon-to-be ex-spouse, and many matters are contested. And let’s face it, even beyond being difficult, the divorce process can simply be confusing.
Have Questions About Separation? We Have the Answers.
As you begin the divorce process, it’s only normal that you’ll have many questions. You’ll probably wonder about the division of your marital property, alimony, child support, and child custody, to name only a few issues of many that may arise. Family legal matters cases can be complex and confusing for those who are inexperienced with their technicalities. This is understandable. It’s also why you’ll need dedicated Henderson divorce lawyers on your side who understand the complexities of the law and has the experience to put that understanding into practice. At Mills & Anderson, we are those lawyers. Our Henderson divorce attorneys handled many divorce cases in the Henderson area successfully, and we would be glad to help you through this process as well.
Addressing First Things First
As a leading family legal issues firm in the Henderson area, our Henderson divorce lawyers have significant knowledge and experience handling many divorce cases in a wide variety of circumstances. As soon as you decide to file for divorce, you’ll want to have knowledge and experience that you can rely on. Even from the outset, even before filing for divorce, you’ll need to make important, even if temporary, decisions. These are decisions like how to temporarily divide your assets, who will live in the primary residence, where the other spouse will live, how the monthly bills will be paid, and whether and how much child support and spousal support will be paid each month while the divorce is proceeding.
At Mills & Anderson, our Henderson divorce attorneys have a thorough understanding of these issues and how important these initial decisions are to how your divorce is ultimately resolved. We can put that experience and knowledge to work on your behalf as we advise you as to the best initial decisions to make with your long-term goals in mind. Let a proven Henderson divorce attorney handle your case.
Understanding the Issues
During your divorce, you’ll encounter any number of issues that will need to be resolved. Some of the most common may include:
- Alimony: In Nevada, alimony can be awarded on either a temporary or a permanent basis and can be paid in either a lump sum or periodically. It can also be rehabilitative in nature, meaning that a spouse with more income is to provide financial support to the spouse who earns less in order to help that spouse adjust and become self-supporting.
- Child Custody, Visitation, and Support: If you and your spouse have children, your divorce action will cover all of these issues. These issues include not only the terms of the custody and visitation and the amount of support to be paid by one spouse to the other but can also include other issues related to insurance, payment of monthly bills, and more.
- Division of Property: Nevada is a “community property” state in which the assets and debts accumulated during the marriage are assumed to belong equally to the husband and wife. Accordingly, the property is usually divided as evenly as possible, though the law is complex regarding when the property was acquired, what type of property it is, and other important considerations.
As all of these issues can involve complex law, it is important to consult with a Henderson divorce attorney you trust to understand how the law applies to your particular circumstances.
A Closer Look at Child Custody
When a couple splits up in Nevada, the Court prefers that the parents have joint physical custody of the child or children until the divorce is finalized. That means that the child spends at least 40% of their time with each parent. This joint custody is presumed by the judge to be in the best interest of the child and will remain intact after the divorce if:
- The parents agree to this arrangement; or
- Each parent has demonstrated their desire to maintain a close relationship with the child and can demonstrate that they are available for at least 146 days of custodial time.
Speak with a Henderson divorce lawyer to know more.
Preferred Method of Resolution
The preferred approach to resolve the question of child custody is for parents to work out terms of custody themselves. Some parents can reach this agreement on their own, but some may require guidance. Those that need help can attend mediation with a mediator to discuss the resolution of these issues. The mediator will try to determine the desires of each parent individually, then bring them together to attempt to reach a compromise solution. If an agreement is reached, the mediator will prepare a written parenting agreement and submit it to the Court and the legal team for review and signature.
If no agreement is reached, the custody issue will be decided by a judge. The paramount consideration for the judge is the best interest of the child. To determine the best interest of the child, the court will consider the following factors:
- The wishes of the child if the child is of sufficient age and capacity to form an intelligent preference as to his or her physical custody.
- Any nomination of a guardian for the child by a parent.
- Which parent is more likely to allow the child to have frequent associations and a continuing relationship with the noncustodial parent.
- The level of conflict between the parents.
- The ability of the parents to cooperate to meet the needs of the child.
- The mental and physical health of the parents.
- The physical, developmental and emotional needs of the child.
- The nature of the relationship of the child with each parent.
- The ability of the child to maintain a relationship with any sibling.
- Any history of parental abuse or neglect of the child or a sibling of the child.
- Whether either parent or any other person seeking physical custody has engaged in an act of domestic violence against the child, a parent of the child, or any other person residing with the child.
- Whether either parent or any other person seeking physical custody has committed any act of abduction against the child or any other child.
Call Our Skilled Henderson Divorce Lawyers
At Mills & Anderson, we have the knowledge and experience necessary to handle the most difficult, sensitive, and complex family legal issues cases in the Henderson County area. Our Henderson divorce attorneys understand and have handled a wide variety of divorce cases, both contested and uncontested, and in a wide variety of circumstances. We also provide support for the adoption process in which we have helped a lot of clients over the years. Whatever your particular circumstances are, we have the experience you need on your side. Please feel free to call us at any time to schedule a consultation with knowledgeable Henderson Divorce lawyers, so that we can learn your story and discuss the best path forward for your circumstances.
During your consultation, we’ll be able to explain the different stages of a divorce case and let you know how we’ll be able to help you through that process. Knowing that you’re trusting your case to a team with proven results will give you the peace of mind that you need. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you, and hope to speak with you soon.